When it comes to business plans some entrepreneurial types might find the following helpful.
I caught this guy in a speech to the National Governor’s Conference on CSPAN — yes, I am a nerd.
Essentially he is saying business plans are really a waste of time. He has what seems to me a better idea. This strikes me as applicable to journalism and entrepreneurship. – Ron
- National Governors Association Annual Meeting, Closing Session – C-SPAN Video Library: http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Day3C
- No Plan Survives First Contact With Customers – Business Plans versus Business Models « Steve Blank: http://steveblank.com/2010/04/08/no-plan-survives-first-contact-with-customers-%E2%80%93-business-plans-versus-business-models/
- Steve Blank on small startups, big execution & Steve Jobs: http://gigaom.com/2012/05/11/steve-blank-on-small-startups-big-execution-and-steve-jobs/
- Startups are not smaller versions of big companies, so don’t try to be like them
- Startups are about searching for a business model, not executing a business plan
- Contrary to the myth, Steve Jobs interacted with consumers more than you think
- Amazon has been hugely important to the boom in startups
- Today’s students have a “wonderful entrepreneurial arrogance”
Watch the videos below or listen to the audio only of the entire interview.